Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Begining!

Let me start this blog by appologizing in advance. I am a horrible speller, and well my grammer is equally as bad. Hopefully however, whoever reads this will get the point and is already aware of my many flaws. I have started this blog to help keep a record of the trials that it takes to loose weight. Over the course of 34 years, a bizzilion beers, many late night runs to Jack in the Box, Waffle House, Eat Right (mmmm slingers), I stepped on the scale and saw the number 3. Honestly, it could have read 399, I couldn't really tell you. After I saw the three, everything else was a blur. I did some math, if I kept down this path, by the time my daughter graduated high-school they would have to cut a hole in my house so I could leave to see her walk across the stage, and well walking her down the aisle wouldn't even be an option as I would probably be dead. It was a pretty eye opening experience. I spoke with a few friends who are or should I say were struggling with the same issues and have been able to beat the weight issue, or at least start to fight it. I did some internet research, and checked my bank account to make sure that the gym membership I have been paying for and not using is still active. I found a pretty cool website called http://www.loseit.com/ It appears to help you keep track of calories in, vs calories burned throughout the day, and what one person needs to intake to maintain a healthy weight loss of 2 lbs a week. I signed up for it, and well this blog will hopefully log my journey. I don't really know how detailed each entry will be, but it's a start. If this blog does nothing else, I hope it will help me stop eating my emotions, as stress and depression seem to be a few triggers for me. I call it the road to 180 because well 180 is my goal weight by 2013. Please feel free to comment, encourage, and give advice. Hopefully in 12 months the last line will read..."I did it...now to keep it off...The END."

3 comments:

  1. You can do it. I struggle with weight loss so I joined a gym this last year and I have lost 15 pounds since joining. It's taken a lot of hard work and dedication and of course I would like to see it come off faster but I take what I can get and continue to strive for my next goal! Cgambino

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know man, I struggle with it a little myself. I've lost maybe 40lbs. in the last year through even the toughest circumstances but I was lucky enough to find a woman who knows EVERYTHING about food. And I'll give you some of my very basic tips man.

    1. Don't make this a fad, you have to want to change your lifestyle. You need to look at this not about getting to weight but about changing your lifestyle to be more active and closer to your food.

    2. Learn everything you can about food. Watch Diners Drive-ins and Dives. You can eat well, make it a family affair and have it bring you closer to your loved ones. I know I was very uneducated about it and knowing what I know now, I wonder how I could ever be so dumb as to trust my entire diet to chemical companies and rebellious teenagers making chemical company food.

    3. Focus on average excercise and don't overdo it at first. Take the stairs more. Say yes to things you wouldn't normally say yes to, especially things your wife and kids do. Take your kids out to throw a ball around. Make them if you have to. : )

    4. Make one of those things a farmer's market or shopping for food you can make and enjoy together once you've done the first three. I think it's worth it in the end. I was a guy who ate Subway, 7-11 and canned food straight from the can most of my adult life when I wasn't eating out (which was 4 nights a week or more, especially when I traveled). I now love cooking with my fiance once a week and I'm actually good at it. It's a lot simpler than you think and it's exercise.

    I wish you the best of luck. Hope you stick with it.

    ReplyDelete